This article describes how to fix the down Twitter Feed on your website so that the latest tweets begin to work properly.
As of June 11, 2013 Twitter officially closed down version 1.0 of their API and now all Twitter applications are required to use their new 1.1 API. In a nutshell this means that you are now required to supply authentication login details in order to connect to Twitter and display latest Tweets. Here’s an article with some more technical details if you’re interested in learning more.
- Log into Twitter Developer Center and generate the necessary login credentials needed to connect to Twitter and display Tweets.
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard and input the Twitter credentials into the new “Twitter oAuth” section of your theme’s Site Options Panel.
- Save all changes and rejoice. Tweets are now back up! 🙂
Step 1: Log into Twitter Developer Center and generate the necessary login credentials
- Visit: https://apps.twitter.com/
- Click “Sign In” and sign in using your existing Twitter Account
- Click the “Create a new Application” button.
- Fill out the form by filling in the required fields. Under the “Website” section be sure to input the URL of your website where you’ll be displaying the Tweets.
- Click the “Create your Twitter Application” button.
- Scroll to the bottom of this screen and click on the “Create my access token” button.
- Now click on the “oAuth Tool” tab at the top of the screen.
- Success! Now leave this screen open as you’ll need the oAuth Credentials for the next step.
Step 2: Update the “Twitter oAuth” section of your theme’s Site Options Panel.
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard and click on ‘Appearance > Site Options’
- Scroll down to the new “Twitter OAuth Settings” section of the Site Options Panel.
- Copy the required credentials from the Twitter Developer page into the fields in the Site Options Panel.
- Save All Changes and rejoice! Your latest Tweets shortcode will now function properly.